14.7.14

Hair Care in a Net Weave (Part 1)

Hi all I promised to share updates on maintaining my hair and extensions while in a net weave for the first time. Well I decided to start off with sharing how I take care of my natural hair while it's in hiding for a few weeks. While wearing a weave it's just as important to keep the hair underneath and your scalp moisturised as often as you normally would or more if necessary. A weave is a great way to protect your hair especially in winter but it is even more important to keep your hair moisturised because it's winter. Because I know some ladies abandon their hair while wearing a weave. I decided to share my hair care regime and tips on how I keep my own hair in good condition while I wear a net weave.


I try to moisturise daily with one of these three moisturisers ORS Carrot Oil (R75), JOM Olive oil braids & dreads spray (R21) or ORS Shea Butter (R70). Carrot Oil is my usual daily moisturiser even when my hair isn't braided so it's my 1st choice. I try to moisturise daily just because it helps me stick to my regular routine. The moisturisers below are all water based moisturisers (the first ingredient on product list is water). This is an important thing to look for when selecting a daily moisturiser because you're not moisturising your hair properly if your moisturiser doesn't have water.


I started using this ORS Shea Butter recently the last time I used it was almost a year and half ago and it just did wonders for my hair it helped with thickness. I couldn't get it anywhere on the market until now, I think it has been discontinued but I was glad I found it. It's also great because it has a nozzle which makes it easier to get underneath the net weave to moisturise my hair properly.

           

The JOM Olive oil braid spray I mainly use as a sealing moisturiser because it has olive oil and water as the main ingredients it makes a good sealant to lock in moisture. JOM is a South African hair care line for ethnic natural hair but this works just as well for relaxed hair. Their products are 100% natural which means they contain no sulphates or parebens (ingredients which dry out our hair) in any of their products.


Using a moisturiser in a spray bottle or nozzle is great because even on a lazy day it makes moisturising much easier and not so dreadful. I prefer to do it at the end of the night before bed when I'm doing the rest of my nightly routines.


It's great to moisturise your hair to keep it healthy while wearing a weave. However you also want to keep your weave in its best condition, if you paid good money for it right. What I have noticed with moisturising my hair and scalp daily while wearing a net weave or normal weave is that my extensions get a bit greasy and weighed down quicker than usual. Note: 100% virgin hair (Brazilian, Peruvian, Malaysian hair, etc) needs to be washed often because it gets greasy easily and unlike our ethnic hair it doesn't respond well to moisture. This just means I have to wash my hair weekly to keep my natural hair healthy and my weave light and looking it's best. Washing your hair weekly is great as it helps get rid of the product build up that can happen from daily moisturising and it also helps to moisturise and condition your hair weekly.

I will share my weave care hair care routine in a follow up blog post (coming soon). I'll share the products I use to keep this virgin Peruvian weave on point and looking as good as when I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment