21.7.14

Newbie Healthy Hair Affair: First steps to getting your hair healthy

When I decided to start my healthy hair journey I wish I had been told some things. So if you are on this blog, my guess is you have FINALLY decided to start taking better care of your hair. That's the best thing you can do for your hair but where does one start? Well, these are a few of the things that helped me get my hair a on the right path starting off. I haven't reached all my hair goals yet but I'm a lot satisfied with my natural hair health. So I decided to share some of the hair-education and  hair tips that helped me and that I still follow.

  •  Firstly if your ends whether relaxed, natural or dreaded are damaged there is no point hanging on to them. Cut the bad ends off! I know a lot of us ladies who just hang on to thin damaged hair to feel like we have length but fact is damaged split ends can't be repaired. The damage just moves higher up your hair shaft.
Let go, cut it, don't hold on, it's not worth it!
  • Deal don't hide your damaged hair don't say you want better healthier hair then hide it under braids or a weave hoping the damage will go away. A protective style is great but it won't help you if you already don't take care of your hair and are always hiding it. So I'd suggest you deal with it, take out those braids, weave whatever for a few weeks or month and give your damaged hair or hairline some daily tlc (moisture, weekly treatments). You might not want people to see your damaged hair but it won't get better if you keep hiding and not caring or dealing with the problem.
  • Now go back to the beginning and evaluate your current or past hair practices & regime or lack there off. What are you doing right or wrong? If you didn't Moisturize daily start moisturising more regularly. Black hair thrives on moisture that includes shampoo and conditioning too! If you don't do weekly or at least bi-weekly hair treatments (moisture/oil/protein) on your hair start doing them.You'll be amazed at the benefits of consistent treatments.

These are some of my go to daily & weekly products for my relaxed hair.
  • Then once you know what you weren't doing right. You'll need to Start a consistent hair regime. Lazy doesn't grow healthy hair. It's important in this healthy hair game and if you want to see results to be Commited. This process may take time to get used to and some trial and error but if you stay commited you should see some difference and learn what your hair loves and hates in the process.
  • When I say Build a regime this is not about the 'popular' or 'top' products you use but about the consistency and the regular care you give your hair. What works for me is incorporating a regime into my daily routine the same way I brush my teeth or put mascara on daily. Get a regime going, part of that is discovering what hair products your hair loves and then start using those regularly or as often as your hair needs.
  • Get the products that work for YOU! No products work the same way on every persons hair but there are guidlines to finding what works for your hair type. It may take some trial and error to findout what your individual hair needs. Don't just use a product because others use it or especially because the hair advert looked convincing.
  •  Make sure the regime works with your lifestyle, in my case I moisture and seal at night because I have more time to do it properly. I'll say it again Moisturise this seems obvious I know but learn to moisturize properly using non drying moisturisers (don't have sulphate and parabens). Washing your hair weekly more often, using a water based moisturiser and a light or heavy oil to seal in that moisture.
These are some of the lessons I had to learn and start practicing to get on my healthy hair journey. Trust me just doing one of these and you will notice some change.
Hope these first steps help you to starting your healthy hair affair!

No comments:

Post a Comment