23.4.14

Whats your Hair type?

A lot of women either don't know their hair type or oppose the idea that knowing it makes a difference. I used to think that only people who wear their hair natural need to know their hair type. Truth is whether you have relaxed, straight or dreaded hair knowing your hair type helps you understand your hairs needs.Knowing your hair type won't be the solution to all your hair issues but it is a great start to help you take the best care of your hair. As it helps when choosing the most suitable products for your hair and not just any new product for black hair.



The easiest way to check your hair type is by looking at it in its natural state(unprocessed). If you have relaxed hair or dreads the best way to tell is by looking at your new growth. My hair type is 4B(when my hair is natural) and I currently relax my hair but knowing my hair type helps me manage my new growth and hair a little better. Most African women's hair falls in the type 3 and 4 hair ranges. Type 3 hair ranges from wavy to loose spirals and the higher the up the scale you go to type 4 hair the tighter the curls become. Check the the dialogue below to learn what your hair type is and share with us.
Tips for type 3 & 4 hair:
 Both textures crave moisture so use water based moisturiser(once/twice daily depending)
They need, butters and cream like products (shea butter is a good one)
Seal in moisture with oils (i.e castor, grapeseed, coconut, olive oils) 
Cleansing and conditioning your hair once a week with protein rich and moisture rich

As you can see type 4B and 4C hairs curl pattern are tigher than type 4A and 3. Which means it makes it harder to absorb or retain moisture from products. Making these hair types prone to dryness, damage and breakage. With this in mind you can use your hair type as a guide for what could potentially be good for your hair. But it is important to develop your own routine based on what works best for your hair because ultimately your hair is unlike anyone elses. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Keneilwe, I just started following your blog and I follow your instagram account as well. I have just had my second pic chop in a year and once again I wonder how relevant the hair typing is? I see all the youtube videos and blogs from the ladies and men overseas but I am still not sure whether my South African course hair is any of these hair types, I buy the products and follow the instruction but still struggle with curl definition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would try it out but I don't know where to find permanent dyes in colours like that..inecto and darknLovely only offer the regular blondes,Reds and browns

    ReplyDelete