29.6.14

Mustard Growth Hair Treatment (Homemade)

I had promised to start having guest posts from ladies who have natural hair and dreads to share their hair regime. So this weekend my sister, Paballo rocked up at my place for some catch up and to do her hair while chilling. Pabs has natural hair and prefers to do her hair herself because she says most hair stylist don't do natural hair correctly. She is very particular when it comes to her natural hair care and always gives me the best hair treatment mixes and tips. So when she went into my kitchen and started mixing her latest hair potion Mustard treatment, I asked her share it on a her first post with you guys, here it is below.

Guest Post:  Paballo (Natural sista) 

Hi, I’m Paballo. I have been asked to give my opinion on a hair treatment I'm trying out. I have natural hair and would like to see some real good growth very soon.  I did a mustard treatment this weekend that I heard about on a few sites that’s meant to grow hair in weeks.  Hair growth treatment on steroids apparently.
So, I tried it. I’ve been at it for about 3 weeks now. My hair has been growing , but I haven’t quite figured out yet if it’s the mustard treatment or if it’s just growing.


Mustard Growth Treatment ingredients straight from the kitchen.


Well this is what I mixed Mustard 
treatment ingredients.

  • 2 tablespoons of Mustard powder (I used English Mustard Powder) mixed in with a little boiled water to make a paste.
  • 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar.  This is to give the mustard a good kick of heat.  Apparently the more sugar the meaner the mustard effect.
  • A few tablespoons of Olive oil
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Blend all the ingredients and apply to your scalp only.  

All mixed and ready to go onto my scalp.

Put it directly on your scalp ONLY it's okay if it touches a bit of your roots.
Leave it on for 20-30 mins depending on how much heat/burn your scalp can take as it gives a tingling sensation(like a mild relaxer would feel). It will start burning but don't worry your hair won't burn off your head it's a good tingle.

Soft hood dryer is great for treatments at home.

I used Keneilwe's soft hooded dryer (post coming soon) and spent only 15-20 mins under it then I washed it off with shampoo and continued with the rest of my usual wash day treatment routine. This treatment can be used on both natural/ relaxed hair and should be done at least once/twice a week for 2 months to notice changes.

Precautions to note

  • Remember that mustard is a strong irritating ingredient
  • Don’t use mustard treatment if you have a very sensitive scalp, open sores or you are allergic to mustard
  • Also be careful with the variations. Egg yolk and oil have to be added for a reason. If you don’t add oil- you will burn your scalp!

For those that have tried it, please let us know what your results are. And if you have any questions leave a comment below. 

1 comment:

  1. This is the type of information I’ve long been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. laser hair removal

    ReplyDelete